Lady Knox Geyser , New Zealand
Lady Knox Geyser , New Zealand
2012- 2016 University of Auckland, New Zealand, PhD, Education
Eye-tracking & second language acquisition; L2 writing; sociolinguistics/world Englishes/English as an international language; research methods (both quantitative and qualitative, verbal reports, in particular), EAP (English for academic purposes), ESP (English for specific purposes), and discourse analysis
1. Xidian University 2000 Xidian Spring English speech contest first prize
2. Xidian University outstanding master thesis second prize
3. New Oriental Education Group 2006 nationwide teachers’ (Chinese) speech contest first prize
4. UoA doctoral scholarship 2012 recipient (From September, 2012 to February, 2016)
5. UoA Faculty of Education School of Curriculum and Pedagogy (CURRPD) 2015 Publishing Award
6 The 13th Philosophy and Social Sciences Excellent Achievements Award of Shaanxi Province, the Third Prize (for published papers), issued by the People’s Government of Shaanxi, 2017
7. The Humanities and Social Sciences Research Excellent Achievements Award of Higher Institutions in Shaanxi Province, the Second Prize (for published papers), issued by the Ministry of Education, Shaanxi Province, 2017
1. The Young Psychology Scholars Forum in Yangtze River Delta, April 19-20, at School of Psychology and Cognitive Science, East China Normal University, Attendee
2. International Symposium on Translation, Interpreting and Cognition in a Global Vision & the 6th CATIC Conference, April 19-21, 2019, at College of Foreign Languages and Literature, Fudan University, Shanghai, China, Presenter
3. The Second International Conference on Sociocultural Theory and L2 Teaching, May 10-12, at School of International Studies, Xi’an Jiaotong University, Xi’an, China, Attendee
4. Fujian Normal University, School of Foreign Languages, invited presenter, "Eye-tracking as one approach to process research and measurement of task difficulty: Taking Chinese-to-English translation and gap-filling as two cases", May 14, 2019
5. International Conference on Effective Learning and Development of Diverse English Language Learners, June 7-9, 2019, at School of International Studies, Xi’an Jiaotong University, Xi’an, China, Attendee
6. The 4th Contemporary Foreign Language Studies Second Language Processing Conference, August 1-3, at School of Foreign Languages, Guiyang Normal University, Guiyang, China, Presenter
7. The 2nd young Scholars Forum on Frontiers in Foreign Languages and Literature Research, September 20-22, 2019, at School of International Studies, Xi’an Jiaotong University, Xi’an, China, Attendee
1.Tobii Pro Nationwide Eye-tracking Knowledge Tour-Xi’an workshop, December 14, 2018, at School of International Studies, Xi’an Jiaotong University, Xi’an, China, Keynote Speaker, “Eye-tracking in foreign language studies: Roles, present use, issues and prospects”
2.Young Scholars’ Forum on Frontiers of Research in Foreign Languages and Literature, Dec 7-9, at School of International Studies, Xi’an Jiaotong University, Xi’an, China, Attendee
3.The 8th China International Conference on Eye Movements, CICEM, May 26-May 28, 2018, at School of Psychology, Nanjing Normal University, Attendee
4.Concept Based Instruction and Dynamic Assessment for Second Language Development—from A Sociocultural Perspective, May 18-20, 2018, at School of International Studies, Xi’an Jiaotong University, Xi’an, China, Attendee
1.The first national summer holiday seminar on discourse analysis, July 25-27, at School of Foreign Languages and Literature, Beijing Normal University, Beijing, China, Attendee
2.Summer School on Applied Language Research and Cognitive and Neural Science, July 3-7, at College of Chinese Language and Culture, Jinan University, Guangzhou, China, Attendee
3.The 3rd Annual conference of China Academic English Association and the 2nd International Conference in Asia on Academic English, May 19-21, School of Foreign Languages, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China, Attendee
1.International Conference on Teaching and Researching EFL Writing 2016, September 24-25, 2016, at School of Foreign Languages, Taiyuan University of Technology, Taiyuan, China, Presenters (2 presentations)
2.Applied Linguistics Association Australia/New Zealand/Association for Language Testing and Assessment of Australia and New Zealand (ALAA/ALANZ/ALTAANZ) 2015 conference November 30 -December 2, in Adelaide, Australia, Co-presenter, with Professor Lawrence Jun Zhang
3.The 14th Symposium on Second Language Writing (Learning to Write for Academic Purposes) 2015 November 19-21, at AUT University, City Campus, Auckland, New Zealand, Attendee
4.Applied Linguistics Association New Zealand (ALANZ) 2014 conference November 29 , at AUT University, Auckland, New Zealand, Presenter
5.American Association of Applied Linguistics (AAAL) 2013 conference March 16-March 19, at Dallas, TX, U.S.A., Co-presenter, presented by associate professor Hu Guangwei from the National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University
Refereed Journal Articles:
Yang, C. S. (2019). The veridicality of think-aloud protocols and the complementary roles of retrospective verbal reports: A study from EFL writing. Asia-Pacific Education Researcher.
Yang, C. S. (2017). Advancing the Yoo (2014) and Ren (2014) debate on ownership of English: It's time for a shift of conceptualizations and focus. Applied Linguistics, 38, 424-429.
Yang, C. S., & Zhang, L. J. (2015). Methodological considerations in second language writing research: A critical appraisal of the think-aloud technique, Dier yuyan xuexi yanjiu [Second language learning research], 1, 41-50.
Wang, W. H., & Yang, C. S.* (2015). Claiming centrality as promotion in applied linguistics research article introductions. Journal of English for Academic Purposes, 20, 162-175.
Yang, C. S., & Zhang, L. J. (2015). China English in trouble: Evidence from dyadic teacher talk. System, 51, 39-50.
Yang, C. S., Hu, G. W., & Zhang, L. J. (2014). Reactivity of concurrent verbal reporting in second language writing. Journal of Second Language Writing, 24(1), 51-70.
Yang, C. S., Hu, G. W., & Zhang, L. J. (2014). Second Language Research on Recasts: A Critical Review in Response to an Ongoing Debate. Chinese Journal of Applied Linguistics, 37(4), 411-429.
Yang, C. (2013). Lawrence Jun Zhang, Rani Rubdy and Lubna Alsagoff (eds.), 2012, Asian Englishes: Changing Perspectives in a Globalised World. Singapore & New York: Pearson Prentice Hall. Review in International Journal of Applied Linguistics, 23(3), 389-391.
Reviewer for TESOL Quarterly (Reports), Applied Linguistics, Asian-Pacific Education Researcher, & Contemporary Foreign Languages Studies