I. Basic information
Dr Yanni Xiao
Address: Department of Applied Mathematics
School of Mathematics & Statistics, Xi'an Jiaotong University
Xi'an, 710049, P.R.China
Phone: 029 82663156(O)
09/1991-07/1995: B.S. in Department of Mathematics, Shaanxi Normal University,
09/1995-07/1998: M.S. in Department of Mathematics, Shaanxi Normal University,
Major: Qualitative Theory of Ordinary Differential Equations and Biomathematics.
09/1998-05/2001: Ph.D in Institute of Mathematics, Chinese Academy of Science, Beijing 100080, P.R.China,
Guided by Prof. Lansun Chen.
Major: Mathematical Biology, Dynamical Systems. Research areas: Population dynamics and epidemiology.
III. Work experience
05/2001-01/2003: Post-doctoral researcher in Institute of Systems Science, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, P.R.China,
Work with Prof. Daizhan Cheng.
Research project: Biological control in populations and epidemiological systems.
02/2002-10/2002: Academic visitor in Biomathematics group in AEN, Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, Herts, AL5 2JQ, UK
Work with Dr.Frank van den Bosch
Research project: The effect of juvenile competitive bottleneck on population dynamics
01/2003-05/2006: Post-doctoral researcher in Department of Mathematical Sciences, The University of Liverpool, Liverpool, L69 3BX, UK.
Work with Prof R Bowers, Prof N French & Dr D Clancy
Research project: Understanding the dynamics of endemic and epidemic Salmonella infections in cattle and pigs: A comparative
06/2006-present: Professor of Applied Mathematics,Xi'an Jiaotong University, China.
Courses taught: Stability and qualitative theory for ODE; ODE (bilingual education); Mathematical modelling
Research project: Study of infectious disease on contact network, Modeling HIV/ADIS epidemic in mainland China, Modelling hospital
infection in ICU, modelling influenza
IV. Research Interests
My research is mainly concerned with deterministic/stochastic models for the spread of infectious disease. Areas of current interest include:
- Viral dynamics, Pharmacokinetics, Epidemiology
- Spatial heterogeneity
- Optimal intervention (isolation /immunisation) policies
- HIV/AIDS applications, Influenza
- Hospital infection
V. Award and Grants
- Outstanding award of the President of Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2001.
- Postdoctoral Research Fund of Chinese Academy of Sciences from K. C. Wong Education Foundation, Hong Kong , 2001 (PI).
- The Chinese Postdoctoral Scientific Foundation , 2001 (PI).
- Study of infectious disease dynamic system on contact networks' (NSFC 10701062,180000RMB), 2008-2010 (PI).
- The Scientific Research Foundation for the Returned Overseas Chinese Scholars, State Education Ministry (20000RMB), 2008-2010 (PI).
- The epidemiological models with temporal-spatial effect', New Century Excellent Talents in University (NCET-08-0430, 500000RMB), 2009-2011 (PI).
- `Study on dynamics of hospital infection' (NSFC 30970126, 330000RMB), 2010-2012 (CP).
- National Mega-project of Science (2008ZX10001-003, 955000RMB), 2008-2010 (PI for sub-project: Modeling HIV/ADIS epidemic (individual/population level) in China).
- National Mega-project of Science (2012ZX10001-001, 943000RMB), 2012-2015 (PI for sub-project: Modeling e®ects of HAART on HIV transmission dynamics in China).
- `Study of effect of virus dynamics based on individual level on macroscopical epidemic of infectious disease', (NSFC 10701062, 460000RMB), 2012-2015 (PI).