Dr. Khalid Ahmed is currently serving as an Associate Professor at the School of Public Policy and Administration (SPPA) at Xian Jiaotong University. He is also a research fellow at the Crawford School of Public Policy, Australian National University and Energy Policy Research Group, Judge Business School, University of Cambridge. His research interest is Applied Development Economics with a focus on Environment and Resources Economics, Environmental Policy, and Energy Policy. Previously, he served as an Associate Professor and head of the Center for Research in Business and Economics at the Department of Business administration, Sukkur IBA University. He has a Post-doctorate from the University of Cambridge and the University of Gottingen, which was jointly funded by the Charles Wallace Foundation U.K and the Erasmus Mundus European commission. He has published papers in Energy Economics, Applied Economics, the Journal of Environmental Management, the Journal of Cleaner Production, Resources Policy, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Social Indicators Research, and The Energy Journal.
Home - KHALID AHMED
Energy and Resource Economics, Environmental Policy, Energy Policy, Sustainable Development, Development Economics, Applied Economics
- Ph.D. Economics, WUHAN UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY (WHUT) P.R China. (2009-2013).
(Thesis: “Trade and Climate Change: A Strategic Framework for Developing Countries”)
- M.A. Economics, SHAH ABDUL LATIF UNIVERSITY, Pakistan. (2005-2007)
- B.S. Commerce, SHAH ABDUL LATIF UNIVERSITY, Pakistan. (2003-2005)
- Associate Professor, XI’AN JIAOTONG UNIVERSITY, Xi’an, China (July 2022 _ to Date)
- Associate Professor/Head of Research Center, SUKKUR IBA UNIVERSITY, Sukkur, Pakistan (August 2018 _ June 2022)
- Visiting Research Fellow (May 2018 _ Continue...) Energy Policy Research Group (EPRG), Judge Business School, University of Cambridge, UK.
- Assistant Professor/Director Research SUKKUR IBA UNIVERSITY, Sukkur, Pakistan. (July 2013 to July 2018)
- Visiting Researcher (July 07, 2018 to July 25, 2018) Department of Business and Economics, Monash University, Caulfield East, Victoria, Australia
- Post-Doctoral Fellow (December 2015 to June 2016), Department of Economics, UNIVERSITY OF GÖTTINGEN, Germany.
- Charles Wallace Visiting Fellow (August 2015 to November 2015), Center for South Asian Studies, UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE, U.K
- Assistant Manager (Retail Operations) ATLAS BANK LIMITED, Pakistan. (February 2009 to August 2009),
- MEEZAN BANK LIMITED, Pakistan. Senior Officer (Trade Finance) (March 2006 to February 2009)
- Ahmed, K. (2023). How the pandemic-led volatility in the natural resource commodity indices affect U.S and China markets. Resources Policy. (Accepted/Forthcoming). (SSCI) (8.222).
- Ahmed, K., & Stern, D. I. (2023). China's carbon emissions trend after the pandemic. Environmental Challenges, 13, 100787. SCI -
- Khalique, A. Ahmed, K. and Gadhi, R. (2023). Do institutional quality and political risk matter for financial development? Evidence from the selected emerging economies. Singapore Economic Review, 1-28. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0217590823500339 (SSCI) (IF-1.8)
- Ahmed, K. (2023). Pooled mean group estimation of an energy-globalization-emissions nexus: Evidence from the selected South- and South-East Asian countries. Energy & Environment. https://doi.org/10.1177/0958305X231171703 (SSCI) (IF-3.540)
- Ahmed, K. (2023). Carbon footprints across transport infrastructure development and industrial output in Pakistan. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 1-26. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-023-27022-0 (SCI) (IF-5.190)
- Ahmed, K. (2023). Perspective on China's commitment to carbon neutrality under the innovation-energy-emissions nexus. Journal of Cleaner Production, 136202. (SCI) (IF-11.072)
- Ahmed, K. (2022). Pooled mean group estimation of an energy-globalization-emissions nexus: Evidence from the selected South- and South-East Asian countries. Journal of Environmental Management. (Forthcoming) (SCI) (IF-8.910)
- Kumar, A. Ahmed, K. Bhayo, M. Kalhoro, MR. (2022). Banking performance and institutional quality: Evidence from dynamic panel data analysis. International Journal of Finance and Economics, 1–21. (SSCI) (IF-1.634)
- Bhutto, M. H., Tariq, B., Azhar, S., Ahmed, K., Khuwaja, F. M., & Han, H. (2022). Predicting consumer purchase intention toward hybrid vehicles: testing the moderating role of price sensitivity. European Business Review. 34(1), 62-84. (ESCI)
- Ahmed, K., Apergis, N., Bhattacharya, M., & Paramati, S. R. (2021). Electricity consumption in Australia: the role of clean energy in reducing CO2 emissions. Applied Economics, 53:48, 5535-5548. (SSCI) (IF-1.916)
- Ahmed, K., Bhattacharya, M., Qazi, A. Q., & Ghumro, N. A. (2021). Transport infrastructure and industrial output in Pakistan: An empirical investigation. Research in Transportation Economics, 90:101040. (SSCI) (IF-2.904)
- Ahmed, K. Khan, B. Ozturk, I. (2021). Dynamics between disaggregates of governance and stock market performance in selected South Asia countries. International Journal of Finance and Economics. 26(1), 802-813. (SSCI) (IF-1.634)
- Ahmed, K. & Jahanzeb, A., (2021). Does financial development spur environmental and energy related innovation in Brazil? International Journal of Finance and Economics. 26(2), 1706-1723. (SSCI) (IF-1.634)
- Shi, Y, Ahmed, K, Paramati, SR. (2021) Determinants of stock market development and price volatility in ASEAN plus three countries: The role of institutional quality. International Journal of Finance and Economics. 26(1), 560-572. (SSCI) (IF-1.634)
- Ahmed, K. (2020). Environmental policy stringency, related technological change and emissions inventory in 20 OECD countries. Journal of Environmental Management, 274, 111209. (SCI) (IF-8.910)
- Ahmed, S., Ahmed, K., Ismail. M. (2020). Predictive analysis of CO2 emissions and the role of environmental technology, energy use and economic output: Evidence from emerging economies. Air Quality, Atmosphere and Health. 13(9), 1035-1044. (SCI) (IF-5.804)
- Ahmed, K. (2019). Resource curse hypothesis and role of oil prices in USA. Resources Policy, 64, 101514. (SSCI) (IF- 8.222)
- 13. Ahmed, K., Ozturk, I., Ghumro, I. A., & Mukesh, P. (2019). Effect of trade on ecological quality: a case of D-8 countries. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 26, 35935–35944. (SCI) (IF-5.190)
- Kumar, A., Bhutto, N. A., Ahmed, K., & Kalhoro, M. R. (2019). Impact of external debt and exchange rate volatility on domestic consumption. New evidence from Pakistan. Cogent Economics & Finance, 7(1), 1568656. (ESCI)
- Ahmed, K., & Ozturk, I. (2018). What new technology means for the energy demand in China? A sustainable development perspective. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 25(29), 29766-29771. (SCI) (IF-5.190)
- Ahmed, K. (2018). A predictive analysis of CO2 emissions, environmental policy stringency and economic growth in China. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 25 (16) :16091–16100. (SCI) (IF-5.190)
- Ahmed, K., Bhutto, N. A., & Kalhoro, M. R. (2019). Decomposing the links between oil price shocks and macroeconomic indicators: Evidence from SAARC region. Resources Policy, 61, 423-432. (SSCI) (IF-8.222)
- Ahmed, K. (2017). Revisiting the role of financial development for energy-growth-trade nexus in BRICS economies. Energy. 128, 487- 495. (SCI) (IF-8.857)
- Ahmed, K., Bhattacharya, M., Shaikh, Z., Ramzan, M., & Ozturk, I. (2017). Emission intensive growth and trade in the era of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) integration: An empirical investigation from ASEAN-8. Journal of Cleaner Production. 154, 530-540. (SCI) (IF-11.072)
- Ahmed, K., Ur Rehman, M., & Ozturk, I. (2017). What drives carbon dioxide emissions in the long-run? Evidence from selected South Asian Countries. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 70, 1142-1153. (SCI) (IF-16.799)
- Shahbaz, M., Nasreen, S., Ahmed, K., & Hammoudeh, S. (2016). Trade openness–carbon emissions nexus: The importance of turning points of trade openness for country panels. Energy Economics. 61, 221-232. (SSCI) (IF-9.252)
- Shahbaz, M.., Bhattacharya, M., Ahmed, K. (2016). CO2 emissions in Australia: Economic and non-economic drivers in the long-run. Applied Economics, 49 (13), 1273-1286. (SSCI) (IF-1.916)
- Ling, C. H., Ahmed, K., Muhamad, R. B., Lognathan, N., & Shahbaz, M. (2016). Testing the Social Cost of Rapid Economic Development in Malaysia: The Effect of Trade on Life Expectancy. Social Indicators Research, 30 (3), 1005-1023. (SSCI) (IF-2.935)
- Ahmed, K. (2016). Dynamics between Economic Growth, Labor, Capital and Natural Resource Abundance in Iran: An Application of the Combined Cointegration Approach. Resources Policy,49 (3), 213-221. (SSCI) (IF-8.222)
- Ahmed, K., Ahmed, N., Shahbaz, M., Ozturk, I., & Long, W. (2016). Modelling trade and climate change policy: a strategic framework for global environmental negotiators. Journal of Water and Climate Change, 7(4), 731-748. (SCI) (IF-2.803)
- Ahmed, K. (2016). The sheer scale of China's urban renewal and CO2 emissions: Multiple structural breaks, long-run relationship and short-run dynamics. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 23(16), 16115-16126. (SCI) (IF-5.190)
- Shahbaz, M., Rasool, G., Ahmed, K., & Mahalik, M. K. (2016). Considering the effect of biomass energy consumption on economic growth: fresh evidence from BRICS region. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 60, 1442-1450. (SCI) (IF-16.799)
- Shahbaz, M., Loganathan, N., Muzaffar, A. T., Ahmed, K., Jabran, M. A. (2016). How Urbanization Affects CO2 Emissions in Malaysia? The Application of STIRPAT Model. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 59 (5), 83-93. (SCI) (IF-16.799)
- Ahmed, K., Shahbaz, M., & Kyophilavong, P. (2016). Revisiting the emissions-energy-trade nexus: evidence from the newly industrializing countries. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 23(8), 7676-7691. (SCI) (IF-5.190)
- Ahmed, K., Bhattacharya, M., Qazi, A. Q., & Long, W. (2016). Energy consumption in China and underlying factors in a changing landscape: empirical evidence since the reform period. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 58, 224-234. (SCI) (IF-16.799)
- Ahmed, K., & Ozturk, I. (2016). The emission abatement policy paradox in Australia: evidence from energy-emission nexus. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 23(17), 17850-17856. (SCI) (IF-5.190)
- Ling, C. H., Ahmed, K., Muhamad, R. B., & Shahbaz, M. (2015). Decomposing the trade-environment nexus for Malaysia: what do the technique, scale, composition, and comparative advantage effect indicate? Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 22(24), 20131-20142. (SCI) (IF-5.190)
- Ahmed, K., Shahbaz, M., Qasim, A., & Long, W. (2015). The linkages between deforestation, energy and growth for environmental degradation in Pakistan. Ecological Indicators, 49, 95-103. (SCI) (IF-4.985)
- Afza, T., Ahmed, K., Shahbaz, M. (2016). Does Harberger-Laursen- Metzler (HLM) Exist in Pakistan? Cointegration, Causality and Forecast Error Variance Decomposition Tests. Global Business Review, 17 (5), 0972-1509. (ESCI)
- Ur Rehman, M., Ahmed, K., & Qazi, A. Q. (2014). A study of causality between disintegrated intellectual capital and firm performance. Sukkur IBA Journal of Management and Business, 1(1), 1-19.
- Ahmed, K. (2014). Environmental Kuznets curve for CO2 emission in Mongolia: an empirical analysis. Management of Environmental Quality: An International Journal, 25(4), 505-516. (ESCI)
- Ahmed, K., & Long, W.(2013). Climate change and trade policy: from legal complications to time factor. Journal of International Trade Law and Policy, 12(3), 258-271. (ESCI)
- Ahmed, K., & Long, W. (2013). An empirical analysis of CO2 emission in Pakistan using EKC hypothesis. Journal of International Trade Law and Policy, 12(2), 188-200. (ESCI)
- Ahmed, K., & Wei, L. (2012). Adaptation as a response to climate change: a literature review. Available at SSRN 2233070.
- Qazi, A. Q., Ahmed, K., & Mudassar, M. (2012). Disaggregate energy consumption and industrial output in Pakistan: An empirical analysis (No. 2012-29). Economics Discussion Papers. (ESCI)
- Ahmed, K., & Long, W. (2012). Environmental Kuznets curve and Pakistan: an empirical analysis. Procedia Economics and Finance, 1, 4-13. (ESCI)
- “Political Economy of SAARC and Regional Trade Integration: Recent ontogeny and Future Prospects” (Supported by Korea Institute for International Economic Policy (KIEP), Korean Government think tank.
- “Gender Inequality in Pakistan and its Repercussions on growth: A Regression Analysis”. (Supported by Korea Institute for International Economic Policy (KIEP), Korean Government think tank.
- “Testing Linkage between Growth, Trade and Deforestation for Environmental degradation in Pakistan: A cointegration and granger causality approach”. (Funded by HEC, Est. Budget. 0.5m PKR)
- “Assessing Public Environmental Awareness in Tharparker - Pakistan: A Survey Study on Thar Coal Project”. (Funded by HEC, Est. Budget 3.5 m PKR)
- “Analyzing and strategizing the basic Public-health facility in Tharparker district of Sindh”. (Funded by HEC, Est. Budget 4.0 m PKR)
- “Measuring the impact of interest-free microfinance on socio-economic empowerment of rural woman” (Funded by HEC, Est. Budget 4.0 m PKR)
- “Economic Growth and Energy Crisis: Policy Issues and Institutional Reform in Pakistan (Australian Award DFAT, Project ID: R161029)
- “Does financial inclusion alleviate rural household poverty? A case study on mobile wallet adoption in rural Sindh” (Project ID: 291, Funded by SHEC, Est. Budget 2.8 m PKR)
Conference Participation (With paper presentation):
- Khalid Ahmed, “Long-run dynamics between stringent environmental policy, related technological change, trade, economic growth and emissions”. 18th Gottingen Workshop ‘International Wirtschaftsbeziehungen’, held on 24-26 February 2016 at Georg-August- Universitat Gottingen.
- Mujeeb Rehman, Khalid Ahmed, Ahmer Q, Qazi, ‘A Study of Causality between Disintegrated Intellectual Capital and Firm Performance: Evidence from China’. 4th ICoBM, Sukkur Institute of Business Administration, Sukkur 26-27 February 2014.
- Khalid Ahmed, Wei Long, “Environmental Kuznets Curve and Pakistan: An Empirical Analysis”. The International Conference on Applied Economics (ICOAE), Uppsala, Sweden, 2012.
- Khalid Ahmed and Wei Long, Adaptation as a Response to Climate Change: A Literature Review (December 15, 2012). Presented at 5th International Annual Conference on Industrial Economics and Economic Theory - Shandong University P.R China.
- Khalid Ahmed, Wei Long (2010), "An Analysis of Core Factors Contributing to U.S – China Trade Imbalance”, International Research Conference on Management and Finance, University of Colombo, held on December 10, 2010.
As an invited expert:
- Presented on “Supply Chains dynamics of Pakistan”. Establishment of China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) Consortium of Business Schools. Held on 28~29 August 2017, National University of Science and Technology (NUST), Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Participated on behalf of Sukkur IBA University in, the "International Conference on Emerging Challenges of Business Schools in Pakistan" held from 27-28 January 2014. Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Provincial Expert on “Conference for Preparation of Pakistan Vision 2025 and 11th Five Year Plan 2013-18”, January 4, 2014. Karachi, Pakistan.
- Expert on National Energy and Environment Policy during “Prime Minister National Consultation Conference on Pakistan Vision 2025” November 2, 2013. Islamabad, Pakistan.
- 5th Silk Road International Symposium for Distinguished Young Scholars, held at Xi'an Jiaotong University (XJTU) from April 10-14, 2019.
- 4th Silk Road International Autumn Symposium for Distinguished Young Scholars to be held at Xi'an Jiaotong University (XJTU) from Sep 18-22, 2018.
- Khalid Ahmed, “China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC): A Shared Prosperity”. Held on 20~22 December, 2016, Silk Road international Forum, 2016 – Shaanxi University of Science and Technology, P.R China
- Khalid Ahmed, “Energy consumption in China and underlying factors in a changing landscape: Empirical evidence since the reform period” held on April 6, 2016, Department of development Economics, University of Gottingen, Gottingen-Germany.
- Khalid Ahmed, “SAARC and regional trade integration: A Political economy perspective” held on November 4, 2015 at Seminar Room SG1, Center of South Asian Studies, University of Cambridge, U.K.
- Khalid Ahmed, “Political Economy of SAARC and regional trade integration: Recent ontogeny and future prospects” held on 29 April, 2014 at Korea Institute for International Economic Policy (KIEP), Seoul-Korea.
- Khalid Ahmed, “Gender Inequality in Pakistan and Its Repercussions on Growth: A Regression Analysis” held on April 22, 2014 at Center for Emerging Economies’ Research (CEER), Seoul-Korea.
- Khalid Ahmed, “Current Political and economic outlook of Pakistan: Challenges and opportunities”, held on April 10, 2014 at Korea Institute for International Economic Policy (KIEP), Seoul-Korea.
- Khalid Ahmed. “The role of stringent environmental regulations in China’s clean energy transition and carbon mitigation” 2nd Silk Road Conference on Resources Policy and Environmental Governanceheld on 20-21.05.2023 at Xi’an Jiaotong University P.R China.
- Khalid Ahmed. “Turning the Ambitions into Action and the Role of Youth-Youth Dialogues in Addressing the Climate Change” University Alliance of the Belt and Road (UABR) Conference held on 10.12.2021 at Lanzhou University P.R China.
- Guest lecture on “Energy security and defence economy”. Command and Staff College, Royal Brunei Armed Forces. 13th April 2023.
- Guest lecture on “Global geopolitics of energy security and its implications on the national security framework”. Institute of Policy Studies (IPS), University of Brunei Darussalam. 15 June 2022
- In search of 'good' energy policy: the social limits to technological solutions to energy and climate problems, Judge Business School, University of Cambridge. (by Professor Michael Pollitt, Director of Studies in Management and Economics).
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Stanford University’s top 2% highly cited researchers (2021 & 2022)
- Distinguished Belt and Road Young Scholar, China Higher Education, 2013, 2017 and 2019.
- Charles Wallace Fellow Award, University of Cambridge, 2015.
- Post-Doctorate Fellowship award, Erasmus Mundus European Commission, 2015-2016.
- Selected Young Scientist at the Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings, 2014.
- Research Fellowship Award, Korea Institute for International Economic Policy (KIEP), 2014.
- HEC-CSC joint PhD Scholarship Award, 2009-2013.
- Silver Medalist, Undergraduate, 2005.
- Training conducted by National Business Education and Accreditation Council (NBEAC) on “The Nuts and Bolts of Preparing a Strategic Plan” at University of Central Punjab (UCP), Pakistan. (November 2021)
- EcoMod School of modelling-Asia, ‘Practical General Equilibrium Modeling with GAMS’ in Bangkok Thailand. (January 20-24, 2020)
Research impact (Updated on 2023.04.20)