Dr. Zongben Xu
Academician of the Chinese
Academy of Sciences,
Professor of Mathematics &
Xi’an Jiaotong University,
Chief Scientist of National
Basic Research Program
Honors and Awards - 徐 宗本
School of Mathematics & Statistics
Xi’an Jiaotong University
Fax: 86 29 82668559
Tel: 86 29 82668005
Secretary: Jijie Zhang
NATIONAL SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PROGRESS AWARD(2011)
THE STATE NATURAL SCIENCE AWARD, P.R.CHINA (second class, 2007)
|Project title||Cognition-Based Data Modeling: New Theories, Principles and Methodologies|
|Primarily achieved by||Xu Zong-Ben (XJTU) , Leung Yee (CUHK), Zhang Jiang- She (XJTU), Peng Ji-Gen (XJTU) and Ma Jiang-Hong (XJTU,CHD)|
The project focuses on a study on data modeling, a main procedure of knowledge discovery in database (KDD) and data mining (DM), from the perspective of simulating biological cognition/perception principles. Through more than 20 years’ investigation, our group have made a systematic contribution towards the theories, principles and methodologies of the cognition-based data modeling, highlighted as:
A new DM principle and methodology inspired from modeling physiological discoveries and psychophysical experiments of primary and higher visual system, which leads to series of effective and efficient scale related clustering, classification and regression algorithms with a psychophsiological basis and interpretation. It provides novel ways to solve the vexing problems of cluster validity check, scale discretization scheme, robustness and parameter settings in DM.
A new data modeling tool, coined as binomial-like formula, for analysis of models and algorithms in non-Euclidean spaces, with which a series of new models and theories of artificial neural networks (ANNs) were developed. The developed theories particularly provide solutions of the long-standing problems of stability test of Hopfield-type ANNs, convergence of on-line BP procedure and essential approximation order estimation of feedforward ANNs;An axiomatization approach of simulated evolutionary computation (SEC), which yields a unified and powerful framework of analysis for various simulated evolutionary algorithms (SEAs). Within the framework, convergence of many types of genetic algorithms and evolutionary strategies is proven in difference senses.
CSIAM Su Buchin Applied Mathematics Prize
Prof. Zongben Xu was conferred the CSIAM Su Buchin Applied Mathematics Prize on the Fifth Delegation Meeting of Chinese Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics and The Second Award Conference of the CSIAM Su Buchin Applied Mathematics Prize, which was held in Zhengzhou on August 2，2008. Prof. Xu is the first winner of this prize from Xi’an Jiaotong University.
As the award notification goes, Prof. Xu “is devoted to the interdisciplinary study of mathematics and information science. He has made a great contribution to geometry of Banach spaces and nonlinear operator theory. His achievement is also highlighted by the systematic studies in intelligence information processing, particularly, in machine learning. Several of his works take a lead in the international community, and gain wide recognition. The research findings are applied to research and development sectors of several organizations.”
Named after Prof. Su Buchin, the renowned mathematician, the CSIAM Su Buchin Applied Mathematics Prize is initiated by Chinese Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics. This prize is designed to award individuals who make extraordinary contributions to industrial and applied mathematics. Judged by an independent award committee, this prize is given to 1-2 individuals every two years on a special award conference. It is the highest honor in applied mathematics in China.
Owner of Chinese Ph.D Degree with Outstanding Achievements
Owner of Chinese Ph.D Degree with Outstanding Achievements, awarded by Chinese State Education Commission and Academic Degree Commission of the Chinese Council (1991).
Other honors and awards
- Golden medal for one of the three best Doctoral dissertations Between 1985-1987 of Xi’an Jiaotong University (XJTU, 1987)
- First class award of research results in 1986, XJTU, for the subject "General Convergence Principle for Nonlinear Monotone Operator" (shared with Z.Y.You and K.K.Liu)
- First class award of research results in 1988, XJTU, for the subject: "Interval Methods for solving Nonlinear System of Equations" (shared with Z.Y.You & X.J.Chen)
- Second class award of Progress in Science and Techniques (1988), Chinese State Education Commission , for the subject "Theories and Methods for solving Nonlinear Equations" (shared with Z.Y.You and X.J.Chen)
- Distinguished Research Award (XJTU, 1991)
- Holder of special allowance of Chinese Council (1992-))
- First class award of Progress in Science and Techniques, Shaanxi Province (1996), for the subject "Characteristic Inequality Laws in Banach Spaces and Their Applications")
- The Wong Kwang-Chen special award for outstanding achievement towards development of Xi’an Jiaotong University, on the occasions of memory of 100 anniversary of the funding of Jiaotong University (XJTU, 1996)
- Be selected into the special training (funding) program for the national distinguished academic leaders across centenary, The Chinese State Education Commission (1997)
- Nominated award for National Natural Science Award (the second class), Education Ministry of China, for the subject " Characteristic inequality laws of Banach spaces with applicatio)